Annons

Sheep Bildbyrå?

Produkter
(logga in för att koppla)
Har följt disskusionen hela tiden och vet inte riktigt vad jag tycker, men är inte det största "problemet" med Sheep att de säljer royaltyfria bilder?

/Viktor

sjost skrev:
Skulle de kunder han då tappat köpt bilderna om dom fån början hade ett högre pris?

Jag antar att ditt svar på den aningen hypotetiska frågan är "nej". Jag vill nog säga att man inte ska ta det svaret för givet.
Kan ju använda mig själv som exempel. Ibland när jag är på gång att göra någon större investering, som ett "nytt" kamerahus till exempel, så har jag ju bestämt mig för hur mycket jag är beredd att betala. Ibland stämmer i den kalkylen/budgeten mot vad jag i verkligheten får. Jag har alltså beräknat för snålt, och måste lägga till mer pengar för att få den kvalitet/klass/hållbarhet jag vill ha.
Vem vet, det kanske bara är jag som fungerar på det sättet. Men jag vill inte tro det. Jag är övertygad om att det går att få marknaden att fungera likadant, även om det tar tid. Men det går inte om man väljer den andra vägen och dumpar priserna.
Som amatör/halvproffs-fotograf med annan försörjning har man råd att vänta på rätt pris för bilden. Den möjligheten har ju inte yrkesfotograferna.

Kijana skrev:
Jag är övertygad om att det går att få marknaden att fungera likadant, även om det tar tid. Men det går inte om man väljer den andra vägen och dumpar priserna.

Som amatör/halvproffs-fotograf med annan försörjning har man råd att vänta på rätt pris för bilden. Den möjligheten har ju inte yrkesfotograferna.

Actually, the pros HAVE TO TURN DOWN low ball offers - if not they/we go out of business as we do not have the luxury of a full time income like some on this forum who can subsidize the loewr and lower and lower fees offered by clients because they get used to low bids from non-pros who do not have our overhead and costs and ingeneral do it for the fun/status of being a "freelancer" or "pro". While they in reality are no "Freelancers" at all

Kijana skrev:
Jag är övertygad om att det går att få marknaden att fungera likadant, även om det tar tid. Men det går inte om man väljer den andra vägen och dumpar priserna.

Kenneth, *you* do understand what's happening and the dire consequences of price/fee dumping, thanks!

I am a member or EP since about 4.5 years ago:
http://www.editorialphoto.com
- a 4,000+ association of pros from all over the world. EP was started about 5 years ago by a few photographers who decided they had to fight the corporate take over of the rates and rights of expecially freelance photogs. The info and support I have received and what I have learned - and keep on learning - during these 4.5 years have been invaluable to me as a Pro.

With this author's kind permission I post a copy of a posting he did to the EP forum yesterday - it deals with the New York Times and their all out assault on rights and fees - please read it to the end - it is just one of the many such postings on that forum:

Subject: As the New York Times awaits your untimely demise

Last week, I was saddened by news of the death of the iconic 95-year-old photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson, a pioneering visionary who helped
establish modern photojournalism by routinely seeing ‹ and capturing ‹ what came to be called "the decisive moment" in his memorable photographs.

One of the original founders of the Magnum photo agency, Cartier-Bresson worked as a freelance photographer, and inspired a generation of documentary photojournalists, myself included. The timing of his death is particularly ironic, since it comes during a period when modern freelance shooters are under assault by many of the very publications that seek to distribute their work.

In the wake of Cartier-Bresson's death, EP members may be interested in a revealing conversation I had with two New York Times picture editors a few weeks ago.

I received a desperation phone call from one editor (an old friend) who was scrambling to find an "experienced, reliable" shooter to immediately go the the California state capitol to photograph governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, "should he approve a request for a photo op." This was for a deadline story that was to be published the next day.

By the last-minute nature, it was obvious to me that this assignment probably had been turned down by several photographers before it got to me.
I told the editor that my licensing terms were far more limiting and my assignment rate higher than what was offered in last New York Times contract
I had seen a couple of years ago. I was informed that the Times recently had improved the contract, and that it was now offering to "share copyrights"
with photographers. I was not impressed, but willing to listen and wanted to help an old friend if I could. I asked to have the latest contract e-mailed to me. The editor agreed, but also asked that I make quick preparations to hit the road for Sacramento, some 20 minutes to the north of my home office.

"The access could be granted at any moment," I was informed.

Unbeknown to me, my e-mail was down that day and a copy of the contract did not arrive as promised. Since time was short, I quickly made up my mind that I would accept the assignment without the receiving the contract, drive into downtown Sacramento, but only submit the images with my own EP-based contract.

A few minutes later (before I left), the picture editor called back to report that the request for a photography session had been turned down.
Since the entire exchange lasted no more than five minutes, I did not invoice The Times, but I did ask to speak to another old friend, a senior editor who will remain unidentified.

We made small talk, caught up, and I learned that Michelle McNally had been named the new DOP (Dirctor of Photography). We discussed the revised Times contract, EP, and the changing business. I said that like most knowledgeable, experienced
shooters, I could not work for the New York Times given the extremely low rates and requirement to share my copyright with the publication, but that I
always would be willing to help out in the future if The Times would agree to use my EP-based contract.

This editor, a sensitive, honest professional who understands the business realities of freelance photography, lamented that Times picture editors had made requests to increase the fees paid to freelancers each year for the last 20 years, and that the requests always were turned down at the
corporate level.

And then, the editor articulated the Times corporate strategy regarding this issue. It did not come as a surprise, but nevertheless was jolting. "Our accountants, and some managers, feel that with time, the current generation of photographers will retire or pass on, and that eventually, a new crop of young photographers will replace them. Everyone expects this new group will be less demanding."

Henri Cartier-Bresson already is rolling over in his freshly turned grave.

Besides being insulted, young (inexperienced and unreliable??) freelance photographers should think about the real meaning behind these statements and the corporate culture and business climate that generates onerous work-for-hire policies. And shooters of my generation should be inspired to
continue the battle for copyright ownership and fair licensing fees.

I have enormous respect for all that Michelle McNally has accomplished in her distinguished career, but she really has her work cut out for her given the prevailing mentality at this company. She'll have to go a long way to repair this, and all the other damages caused by "the current generation" of corporate leaders at the New York Times.
--
George Wedding
GEOPIX, Inc.
Elk Grove, CA
[email protected]

As I mentioned, this is just one of similar posts from many of EP's members. It is well worth thinking over - however, with the preponderance of full time employed "Freelancers" on this forum and their voiced feelings about this issue, copyright and fee dumping, I fear it will fall on "unseeing" eyes.

white paper on licensing stock

The link below leads to SAA - StockArtistsAlliance, a global trade association dedicated to the interests of Rights Managed stock photographers.

It is an exhaustive look at the Royalty Free versus Rights Managed stock business.

I consider it a must read for anyone in or contemplating getting into the stock business

http://www.stockartistsalliance.org/

look for this link:

NEW! SAA White Paper: Understanding Stock Licensing Models SAA recognizes the urgent need to expand industry-wide understanding of how differently the Rights Managed and Royalty Free stock licensing models work for the users, distributors and creators of the images. This White Paper begins that process... Download PDF

På svenska tack. Flera sidor långa inlägg och allt på engelska.
När jag vill läsa på engelska så finns det hur många foto-sajter som helst som har det som första språk. Här finns många människor som inte kan hänga med i tråden bara för att den inte är på svenska.

När jag går in på foto-sajter från andra länder så skriver inte jag på svenska.

Men de som inte kan vara med längre i tråden då. Ska de sparkas ut så fort han kommer in i någon tråd här.

Och det är typiskt nog en engelsk-språkig givetvis.

Nu är ju faktiskt det senaste inlägget i den här tråden ett år gammalt och den aktuella medlemmen har sagt upp sitt medlemskap. Dessutom kan jag inte komma på någon annan på fotosidan som skriver på engelska.

Så jag undrar vad syftet är med inlägget?

Re: Jag har anslutit...

AJä skrev:
....Att det är royaltyfria bilder stör mig inte alls. Lika väl som att bilderna kanske ligger å dammar i arkivet så kan man väl försöka tjäna en hacka på dom. Det vanliga jobbet som man livnär sig på har man förstås å då är det inga problem för min del. Alla pengar via bildförsäljning, må så vara lite eller mycket, är välkommet för att finansiera film, framkallning, nya gluggar eller vad det månde vara.

Just detta tycker jag är riktigt tråkigt att läsa... Det var likadant under mina år som yrkesdj att det fanns djs som spelade för en bärs eller 500 kr för de hade ändå ett jobb på dagarna. Tycker att detta resonemang är en del till att bildens/fotografens värde har mindre värde idag. Jag förstår ditt resonemang, tycker bara det känns tråkigt att läsa dessa rader.

Hälsningar,
Michael Jönsson

Bumpar denna jättegamla tråd...
Någon som vet något om Sheep?
Hemsidan har varit nere länge, dom har faktura att betala till mig...

mvh Patrik

Med lite google och allabolag.se så hittar du nog något som kan vara användbart i att förska jaga reda på dina fordringar.

Jag har också försökt få tag på dem, för att få en slutavräkning i någon form. De bara lade ner. Märkligt och dåligt. Jaga på. Det ska jag! Lyckas jag ska jag tipsa dig. Kan du göra detsamma?

ANNONS
Götaplatsens foto – en riktig fotobutik.